Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Visual Thinking

Long article written by someone wuth Asperger's Syndrome talking about "visual thinking" and associative thinking - linking things/not following logical pattterns of thought.

I have always done this with music - see it as pictures. If I hear a piece if music and it gives me no pictures that's how I know I don't like it OR that means I don't like it. And vice versa, if I hear some music and get a strong visual image then that is music that I like - maybe I like it because I'm enjoyinjg the visuals really...

Here's an excerpt of the article..

"I THINK IN PICTURES. Words are like a second language to me. I translate both spoken and written words into full-color movies, complete with sound, which run like a VCR tape in my head. When somebody speaks to me, his words are instantly translated into pictures. Language-based thinkers often find this phenomenon difficult to understand, but in my job as an equipment designer for the livestock industry, visual thinking is a tremendous advantage. Visual thinking has enabled me to build entire systems in my imagination. During my career I have designed.."

READ ON


I found this article linked from Asperger Diary on Pyschology Today.

The article talks a lot about farming machinery but that's just the author's particular field - the article can be applied to any situation.

No comments: